Skip to main content

Since I've Been Gone Wrap Up

The school year is essentially over! I have two more exams (simple exams) so I'm back. I haven't read nearly as many books as I had hoped to by now but I did read a few so that's good. This post is just a wrap up of all the books I've read since January, some of these books may or may not be getting full reviews later on.

*I am using stars to rate these books because for the most part I cannot remember what percentage I would give them.

In this wrap up I reviewed: Alienated, Fahrenheit 451, The Winner's Curse, Red Queen, The Darkest Part of the Forest, To All the Boys I've Loved Before, An Ember in the Ashes, and The Tempest.



13574417Alienated by Melissa Landers 

Overall ratting: 3 stars 

Basically in this world we are aware of Aliens and our government and the aliens have organized a student exchange program between both species. Our main character is a human girl  named Cara who participates in this exchange. Her alien exchange student is an attractive alien boy named Aelyx. The first book focuses on him coming to Earth and how they both deal with high school and intergalactic love. It's ridiculous. This book was an easy fun read and I'm looking forward to reading the next book where Cara goes to his planet L'eihr, where they aren't about tom foolery or luxury. I'm expecting lots of grey and lots of math. 



4381Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 

Overall ratting: 3 stars 

Now I tried reading this on my own a few years ago and I hated it so much I gave up after ten pages. This time I had to read it for school and it's only saving grace was my awesome teacher. If you don't know already this book is about a world where books are banned and people don't have complex feelings as a result. I am being generous with my three stars there. The writing is elegant but the story is bad, the characters suck, and nothing good truly happens. There's no humor to save it, just metaphors. Read it, don't read it. It makes no difference to me. 




20443207

The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski

Overall rating: 5 stars 

This is the sequel to The Winner's Curse so I can't give you much of a summary without spoiling things. I highly recommend that you read the first book if you haven't and that you continue on with the series because this book lived up to my extremely high expectations. If you like politics, rebellion and badass female leads this is the series for you my friend.








22328546Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard 

Overall ratting: 2 stars 

This book takes place in a world where those with red blood are normal people who are impoverished and those with silver blood have powers and are part of the elite society. Our main character is named Mare and she's a red with oh so special abilities. Because she displays these abilities publicly the queen and king are forced to keep her alive and claim that she is actually a silver, in hopes that this will put an end to the red rebellion. Unfortunately this is just a book trying to be The Hunger Games with magic and it failed. It was incredibly hyped so I  had high expectations going however I ended up being disappointed. 



20958632The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black 

Overall ratting: 5 stars 

This book is set in a small secluded town where the citizens are aware that faeries live in the forest close by. In that forest is a beautiful horned boy sleeping in a glass case much like Snow White. Our two main characters are  brother and sister who swore to be knights to the boy who they believe to be a prince. When he breaks free the faerie realm is left in uproar which leave the town in chaos as well. The story is so much fun, the characters are so unique, the romance is enthralling and this book is just comedic gold. I highly recommend it! 






15749186To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Overall ratting: 4.5 stars 

In this book our main character Lara Jean Song, writes love letters to all the boys she has loved so that she can get over her feelings and move on with her life. Somehow (it's an obvious somehow) the letters get sent out and Lara Jean's current love gets one as well. To save face Lara Jean enters a pretend relationship with the hottest guy at school and this is the story of their hilarious friendship. This book also focuses a lot on Lara Jean's family life which was really good to see in a YA book. However Lara Jean was so naive that it didn't feel at all realistic which is why I had to give it 4.5 stars instead of 5. This book is still one of my favourite contemporary books out there and the sequel P.S I Still Love You is out now! Lara Jean is my aesthetic goal though. 



20560137An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir 

Overall ratting: 5 stars 

If you like ancient Rome this is what you want. The book takes place in a very ancient Rome-esque world where our main character Laia is a commoner who ends up working with the rebellion by being a spy in a military training camp in order to save her brother. Our other main character (I love having two POVs) Elias is in his last year of training before he becomes a certified soldier. However he really does not want to be a cold blooded killer so he plans to escape. Before he can do that a trial begins to see who will be the new Emperor and he is named as one of the contestants. The story lines and the world are so intricately done and the trials remind me of The Goblet of Fire. This book had me on the edge of my seat and I highly recommend it. There will be a sequel! 


12985The Tempest by William Shakespeare

Overall ratting: 5 stars 

This was my favourite book I had to read for school so far. It will probably even be my favourite play by Shakespeare I loved it that much.  I think this has a lot to do with my teacher but I loved the humor and the characters and the lessons that were taught throughout this play. 
 
If you ever get the chance to see this play performed live (especially in Stratford Ontario) I'd highly recommend it.

In case you didn't know, this play tells the story of a ship that crashes into a remote island where a sorcerer, his daughter, a spirit and a monster currently reside. The people on the now destroyed ship must navigate the island and attempt to coexist with it's inhabitants. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t