Skip to main content

January Wrap Up

Somehow this was my busiest month since September, yet I've read the most books this month. I don't know how that works. The semester ended this month so I had exams and all those last minute projects and tests teachers assign, and I had some weird flu for a week where I spent my time passing out or throwing up. It's been a very distressing start to 2015, let me tell you.

This month I reviewed: This Shattered World, Gathering Darkness and, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown.



13138734This Shattered World by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman 

Overall ratting: 90%

So this is the second book in the Starbound series. It's a companion novel to These Broken Stars, so it follows a different set of characters but it features the same characters and the same problem from the last book. This book follows Jubilee Chase who is Captain of the military on a swamp planet called Avon. Flynn Cormac is a rebel on the planet. Flynn and Jubilee meet in less than convenient circumstances but end up needing to work together in order to uncover the governments secrets and help Avon evolve. 

I can't wait for the next book!



17342700Gathering Darkness by Morgan Rhodes 

Overall ratting: 80% 

Things finally start happening in this installment of  The Falling Kingdoms series. This is the third book in the Falling Kingdoms series. The last two books were just there to build up the plot and develop the world and the characters.

This series follows a few different stories. Jonas, a rebel. Cleo a princess. Lucia a sorceress princess from a different kingdom. Magnus, Lucia's brother and, Alexius a watcher. In this book we are also introduced to some new characters, the Kraeshians. 

It's a Game of Thrones type book in YA form.






12813630The Coldest Girl In Coldtown by Holly Black 

Overall ratting 90%

In this novel, our world is facing the problem of vampire infestations which leads to the disease spreading at alarming rates. Vampire and those thought to be infected are quarantined in places called Coldtowns. Our main character Tana, goes into Coldtown in an attempt to save her ex boyfriend who has contracted the disease.

This was my first vampire novel and that's not for lack of trying. I've always found vampire books to be far too cheesy but I really enjoyed this take on vampires. I loved Gavriel's character, old and gentlemanly at times, tender towards Tana; but then he could be insane as well. I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a vampire book, or if like me you're hesitant towards the subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t